Drug Prevention Foundation
Who Are We?
A community service group comprising of volunteers from the private and public sector with the aim of educating the public about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse and assisting in the prevention of drug abuse and drug trafficking. The role of The Drug Prevention Foundation is to work alongside the Turks & Caicos National Drug Council and National Drug Unit in the awareness, prevention and treatment of drug abuse within the Turks & Caicos Islands.
What is Our Mission?
To create drug awareness and prevent drug abuse in our communities through community education and outreach programs.
What Are Our Objectives?
The objectives of The Drug Prevention Foundation are:
- To increase drug awareness by educating the public about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse.
- To promote suitable alternatives to drug and alcohol.
- To assist in preventing the spread of drug abuse and drug trafficking.
- To provide good role models for the youths in the Turks & Caicos Islands.
- To organize fundraising activities to finance the community drug awareness and prevention campaigns and the drug rehabilitation program.
The Drug Prevention Foundation, (“DPF”) is pleased to have Governor Richard Tauwhare as patron of the DPF. During the last few years the DPF and the National Drug Unit have organized a number of exciting and successful events:
- Organized the annual Drug Prevention Walk-A-Thon
- Hosted a golf, tennis, bodybuilding, soccer, dance and martial arts sport clinic for over 100 students of the ClementHowellHigh School under the International Day Against Drug Abuse theme, “VALUE YOURSELF…MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES”. This campaign called on youth to consider the health-related reasons why they should stay away from drugs or stop using them. ‘Healthy choices’ is not only about saying “no” to drugs but also about choosing healthy lifestyles: sports, music, school, civil service, and other positive activities.
- On December 10th The DPF hosted its First Annual Gala Banquet at Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort & Spa. The night was festive and elegant with over 200 guests in attendance.
- During the first half of the year the DPF assisted the National Drug Unit in conducting the national and regional secondary school survey on drug abuse. The results of the survey will be used to improve drug prevention and education programs for our young people.
- It also assisted with the organization of the annual International Day Against Drug Abuse activities under the theme, “DRUGS ARE NOT CHILD’S PLAY”. This theme was selected in an effort to increase public awareness about the destructive power of drugs and society’s responsibility to care for the well-being of children. The activities included:
- A Drug Abuse and Prevention Youth Forum with students of Oseta Jolly and Clement Howell
- The Annual Drug Prevention Walk-A-Thon
- A School Banner Competition
- Family Fun Day
- Organized its Second Annual Gala Banquet: A Masquerade Ball at Beaches Turks & Caicos on October 7, 2006. This was an evening of mystery, elegance, romance, dancing, old memories…
Through the successful fundraising efforts of the DPF and the generosity of the community, and the Turks & Caicos Islands Government, the DPF has raised over $70,000.00 toward the establishment of the Turks & Caicos Islands’ very own Drug Rehabilitation Center and the implementation of drug prevention programs in the schools and communities. The Rehabilitation Center will enable substance abusers to enter rehabilitation quickly and to provide ongoing support and assistance, as they seek to become productive citizens. The Turks & Caicos Islands Government has already committed 10 acres of land and a further $200,000.00 towards the construction of this center.
President: Gerilane Rigby
Deputy: Dierin Longmire